PLEASE READ THESE FACTS FIRST:

  • Random House sued ME; not the other way around.
  • Random House filed suit to silence the facts I was posting on the web.
  • There has been NO trial on the facts, only the Random House effort to prevent a trial.
  • NO expert testimony was allowed despite three international plagiarism experts who were willing to testif that it existed.
  • The only sworn statements made under penalty of perjury are affidavits from me and my experts, nothing from RH.
  • The judge refused to consider any expert analysis.
  • Despite suing me first, Random House & Sony UNsuccessfully demanded that I pay the $310,000 in legal fees they spent to sue me.
  • Contrary to the Random House spin, I am not alleging plagiarism of general issues, but of several hundred very specific ones.
  • This is not about money. Anything I win goes to charity.

Legal filings and the expert witness reports are HERE

I have a second blog, Writopia
which focuses on Dan Brown's pattern of falsehoods
and embellishment of his personal achievements.


Wednesday, January 18, 2006

So Dan: Call Me.

Frequent blog visitor Mark made a comment to my Lying for Dollars post which said:

"Buried in a USA Today article that once again looks at forthcoming Da Vinci Code-esque books is this report that the working title of THE SOLOMON KEY for Dan Brown's book-in-progress has been dropped. Spokesperson Alison Rich says: "No title, no content, no publication date, no nothing."

Mark concludes: "You got him on the ropes Lew."

After posting my reply (below) I thought the exchange was worth elevating to a post all its own.

My reply:

I don't take any joy in this.

Dan Brown made a mistake but I am not sure he needs to pay for it the rest of his writing career.

If the Random House lawyers hadn't decided to detonate a legalistic IED back in May 2003,instead of having the rational conversation I offered, this would all be over by now.

Why? Because my feeling is that Brown could have said, "Oops! I forgot to give you an acknowledgement. Here is is!"

I would have accepted that. That's all I wanted. I've been clear about that from the very beginning.

If I were Dan Brown, I'd be pissed as hell at the lawyers for making this far bigger than it should have been.

People make mistakes. No one is perfect. I'd STILL settle for a credit and a handshake apology from Dan Brown.

If Brown wanted to call me directly and set the handshake in motion, I'd be happy to accept that and call it quits so he could get back to writing and whatever else he wants to do.

I should add the following to the reply:

(1) I'd drop Brown from the lawsuit for credit and a handshake but not Random House and Sony. They are responsible for this mess and need to pay for that. And yes, I mean PAY but not to me. A charitable donation to specified Katrina-damaged libraries and Delta non-profits in Mississippi would suffice.

(2) I am in this for the long haul. Regardless of what happens in court, if I am denied a trial on the facts, then I will not cease to make the facts known on the Internet, in the media, in radio and TV interviews.

I don't enjoy this, but I do not give up. Not now. Not ever.

Dan Brown can end this in a heartbeat: lperdue@ideaworx.com.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I didn't mean to imply there was any pleasure in this. The whole thing is unfortunate, but as we've seen lying and misappropriation of others' material and research is just about rampant these days.

"The disclaimer in Leonard serves roughly the same role as the author’s note at the front of The Da Vinci Code—which says “All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate.” It’s a false certificate, a stamp of limited authenticity on a work of no authenticity at all. The Da Vinci Code is actually built around spurious texts and bald-faced inventions, but the conflict becomes publicity. Factual truth, or the appearance of it, is another tool to make the sale. In the end, there comes the Da Vinci Code movie trailer, using the language of inquiry to forestall inquiry: “Whatever you’ve read …. Whatever you believe …. ” Whatever. The trouble with Mr. Frey’s memoirs is that the most glaringly fictitious character is not “Porterhouse,” nor “Lilly,” nor even “Leonard.” It is “James Frey.”"

NYO

Wed Jan 18, 12:13:00 PM PST  
Blogger Mark said...

Or Dan Brown.

Wed Jan 18, 12:14:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lewis Perdue said...

Mark: I TOTALLY was not accusing you of schadenfreude ...

On the other hand, I have received a number of emails from others who have taken great delight in this and think I should amplify it as much as possible.

I certainly agree that a lie is a lie and should not stand. But as humans, we also have redemption, atonement and the prospect of forgiveness by others.

Wed Jan 18, 01:25:00 PM PST  
Blogger Mark said...

And the many who say you're a sour grapeser. The real point is one man can't abscond with another's "bald-faced inventions."

I'd be willing to forgive the liar, as with Pres. Clinton, for example, context is context after all, but only if they ever admit to it in the first place.

Wed Jan 18, 05:00:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lewis Perdue said...

"I'd be willing to forgive the liar, as with Pres. Clinton, for example, context is context after all, but only if they ever admit to it in the first place."

Amen, brother!

But until that time comes, the task at hand is to make sure the rest of the world knows. Relentlessly, aggresively, for as long as it takes.

Thu Jan 19, 07:46:00 AM PST  
Blogger Lewis Perdue said...

Yes, the truth means so little. Perhaps it's a lawyer thing.

See braxton2008.blogspot.com/ for another perspective.

Fri Jan 20, 10:05:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home