PLEASE READ THESE FACTS FIRST:

  • Random House sued ME; not the other way around.
  • Random House filed suit to silence the facts I was posting on the web.
  • There has been NO trial on the facts, only the Random House effort to prevent a trial.
  • NO expert testimony was allowed despite three international plagiarism experts who were willing to testif that it existed.
  • The only sworn statements made under penalty of perjury are affidavits from me and my experts, nothing from RH.
  • The judge refused to consider any expert analysis.
  • Despite suing me first, Random House & Sony UNsuccessfully demanded that I pay the $310,000 in legal fees they spent to sue me.
  • Contrary to the Random House spin, I am not alleging plagiarism of general issues, but of several hundred very specific ones.
  • This is not about money. Anything I win goes to charity.

Legal filings and the expert witness reports are HERE

I have a second blog, Writopia
which focuses on Dan Brown's pattern of falsehoods
and embellishment of his personal achievements.


Saturday, March 18, 2006

Effects on the DVCode Movie

RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com left an interesting comment last light on my previous post. I've elevated it here because it is a good question:

I personally am most interested to see how this really does or does not effect the may release of DVC the movie. -- Fri Mar 17, 11:04:52 PM PST



My reply:

I don't thing it will -- or should -- affect the movie if the makers of it are careful.

First of all, Baigent & Leigh are making a weak case based on generalities.

Other than Dan Brown confirming that I was correct about the James-Frey-like biographical fabrications over on Writopia, (and that the legions of books debunking DVC's historical, factual and religious errors were also correct) the testimony confirmed that:

  • Dan did rely heavily on HBHG,
  • He was well-coached for cross-examination and conveniently can't remember details or historical fact,

  • There are contradictions between his statement and the Random House briefs in my case,
  • Blythe and not he conducted what research there exists,

  • Most of the well-hyped research consisted of pages of material copied from other authors and,

  • Blythe is the real force,

Baigent & Leigh don't seem to have proven any specific infringements in the expression.

While I am pulling for B&L for purely psychological reasons, and while I do think that there are probably real infringements there, I do not think that B&L have proven their case.

Testimony in the case has stripped away Dan and Blythe's false and pretentious biographical trappings and revealed DVC as the patchwork derivation of other writers' work that it is. But it does not seem to me (pontificating half a globe away) that they have proved theiir case.

As for the movie, a clever and careful script can avoid infringements. Plus, Baigent & Lee WANT the movie to do well if they win because -- while the movie can skirt plagiarism -- if B&L miraculously come out winners, they want there to be more money coming to RH.

Personally, I really like Tom Hanks and think that Ron Howard is one of the best producers ever. I don't care about the movie money angle, never have. In fact, it was never my idea to go after Sony. The money has never been the reason for my trying to get some measure of justice.

All I have ever wanted was an acknowledgement. Not money

Random House is the one who wanted to go nuclear over the mere suggestion of plagiarism and it was they who sued me.

Random House forced this whole thing out of the realm of private conversation and into the courts rather than having the few milliliters of class and decency it would have taken to have a quiet, private and calm conversation three years ago.

I have been consistent about my goals. Beyond my out-of-pocket costs to fight their ridiculous lawsuit, any money I may win will go to charity. I wish the movie, Tom Hanks and Ron Howard well.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Well they got him for copying "savior" and "saviour." and thus the whole passages. Yes on the rest of it though. They really put up a sorry case on the whole.

Sat Mar 18, 11:08:00 AM PST  
Blogger RC said...

Thank you so much for sharing...I am very interested in that angle especially.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

Sat Mar 18, 09:03:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lewis Perdue said...

Glad I could oblige!

Sat Mar 18, 09:08:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home